Friday, October 11, 2013

Blog 4

      I am really enjoying my field work observation.  It is amazing to see what we are learning in class take place in a real classroom.  I had the opportunity to prepare a power point presentation to introduce myself to the class and I really enjoyed that.  I also got to correct an assignment and it was interesting to see the various scores.  You can really see where some children struggle and others where they prosper. 
      For his assessments he just uses the typical written test.  Before he starts a new chapter he starts out by giving them sort of a pre test.  He gives them a problem and lets them use what they already know to figure it out.  Some kids know exactly how to do it, while others have no clue.  It's interesting to see all the different methods they use.
      One of the teachers I observe uses very interesting teaching strategies.  One in particular that seems to really get the students thinking is when he asks them, "why?"  He will ask them, "why is that the answer?" or "why did you do it that way?".  This really gets their brains thinking.  This strategy is very effective for pre tests because then they ask them selves those questions and its a good way to start learning a new concept.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment