Thursday, September 26, 2013

Blog 3

         While I was at the classroom I am observing they were learning about math.  During math they were learning about decimals.  I noticed he used intrapersonal by asking the students questions and getting them involved and by having them figure out a problem with a neighbor.  He used visual by drawing on the board and had the students take turns doing the problem on the board.  he also used kinesthetic and used blocks to portray the various place values of the decimals.  He also used interpersonal to figure out math problems. 
         He taught me to go deeper rather than stay on the surface.  He told me that by asking questions such as "why is that the answer?" or "why do we do it that way?"  gets them to a deeper level of thinking.  He gave them an opportunity to think without raising their hands.  He said when they raise their hands it distracts the other students and they don't try to figure out the problem.  He said to acknowledge when they get the answer right.
          I also noticed many culture diversity while observing.  There are many different origins of children in the classroom.  I think it would be important to acknowledge their cultures and I think maybe it would be a good idea to let them teach the classroom about it, I think it would help their peers appreciate different customs.  Aside from culture their is many other diversities among the students.  I notice that their are children who are on different levels of reading, math, and other subjects.  While one child may be struggling in one area, they may excel in another. 
          I have noticed that when a child is struggling the teacher will take them aside and go a little slower and work one on one with them and that will help them understand.  The teacher told me it is useful to get a group of 3 or 4 students who are struggling and teach them a mini lesson and they can help each other.  He said this is really useful.  I have also seen all the classrooms split and go to separate classes to learn math where everyone is on their level.  This way they can go faster or slower depending on what level the children are on.  I love the classroom I observe and it is so fun to see what we are learning take place in real classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment